Affirmations

A couple of months ago you'd have asked me what the silliest thing my therapist had recommended and it would have been easily Affirmations. I mean, is it just me or does "speak it into existence" take the crown for the dumbest phrase ever. And I'd take the joke a little further and say in my head "Tomorrow I'll wake up a millionaire" and laugh a little louder. But a few months ago, a close friend of mine got into a relationship. And I interacted with her boyfriend and Affirmations came up again. The entire time I'm thinking, silly. but over time we became friends and we spoke more and he said, Try it.  If it doesn't work, you don't have anything you get to lose. And boy do I like to prove people wrong. So I began my Affirmation trench. 

And I was happy when it didn't work, I really was. My life was still shitty a month later. I was right?

A while later, I was next in line to make a presentation to an employer of mine and subconsciously, I uttered an affirmation. Everything was going to go great. Surprise, it did. Almost like magic, everything calmed out. And so I've been thinking. Affirmations. what do you think you can do, how far do you think you can go, who do you think you are?

A little like religion, don't push it. Be within your limits and don't put yourself down either.

More like religion, have faith. Believe in what you'll say. Believe in your ability to achieve, whatever. And like Kipchoge, don't stop pushing yourself to more. 
The more the better, make it a habit. Repeating affirmations helps to reprogram the unconscious mind for success.affirmations help you mitigate the psychological threat associated with being the target of a negative stereotype. if you say it enough times, you begin to believe it, and if you believe it, then you become it. no matter what people say to you or about you, no matter what they do against you, at the end of the day, it doesn't phase you.

self-affirmation alleviates anxiety. I won't say it has worked all the time, but anxiety prevents you from doing or engaging in certain things, being self-affirmed gives you confidence, it gives you the right push to get on, you assure yourself that you'll be alright. if you believe it, you will be. it opened my mind from a closed mediocrity thinking platform into a new more expansive one where almost anything was possible. it becomes a constant reminder of your goals, of who you are and how you should be treated, reminds you what you deserve. it keeps your subconscious focused.




Here's how they work, at least for me.Start with I AM. be aggresive, let yourself know that this is not a bargain.Be specific. know what you want to feel. not a range, i am strong for instance.Stay positive, every utterance as a form of affirmation should be about what you want, what you get. Nothing negative, not what you don't want. Make it a present, a now is when you are.and don't stop


“Practitioners who are interested in using self-affirmation as an intervention tactic in academic and social programming might be interested to know that the strategy produces measurable neurophysiological effects.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Goes On

The Art of Gifting

The Long Distance Dilemma