It's okay that it's scary

Growing up I especially struggled a lot with finding myself. Finding things I wanted to do, getting things done and just generally being out there. While partially this is fault to my mental illness, I found that I struggled with the wording around "cowardice". You see, you're either doing it, or you're scared which then makes you a coward. But the problem was, while it was true that I was scared, I did not believe entirely that I was a coward. I mean my fears were not beyond reason. Regardless I remained a coward for a while. a long while actually, not that long though just most of my childhood. oh and adulthood.

But recently I encountered someone who in a way reset the thinking. I was scared, and all she did was say 'it was "okay", after which we proceeded to do the thing I was scared of. And yeah, it's not what you're thinking, unless it is. Anyways, I kept thinking about it, was I less of a coward now? But see, the fear wasn't gone. But I've finally realised what it meant 
People say that everything we want is on the other side of fear. And I reckon thats true but what if like me, crippling fear of the unknown is a personality trait? Does that mean that as long as I'm scared I will never get what I want? Like Peter of the Bible, I come bearing good news. 

It's okay to be afraid, it's okay to be aware of the almost endless possibilities of things going wrong and and the debris of the destruction that would cause. It really is okay. There is no need for you to invalidate your fears in order to conquer. I feel like I've said this enough but I'll say it one more time, and maybe a couple other times later but, It's okay to be afraid, it's all very frightening afterall.
But I'd like you to think for a moment, just a single moment of how much satisfaction it could bring you to do it. And I'll answer that for you,  if at all you're afraid, it only means that it would be worth it. It means that your soul might actually catch fire. So it's okay to be afraid you see, just don't be too afraid to go for the things you want, don't be too scared to go for things that set you ablaze.
 It's okay that you are scared, and it's okay to do it regardless, I promise.

Comments

  1. 🥺🥺🥺 Needed this for sure

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for being part of the Basics Society.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Goes On

The Art of Gifting

The Long Distance Dilemma